One Week of Planning
Last year, I went into my first NaNo with virtually no planning. All I had was an opening scene. I didn't even know my characters. It worked for me, so I don't want to change a whole lot this year. However, one thing I wish I'd done last year was get the "No Plot No Problem Book" earlier in the process. It was really helpful during the month of November, and I wished that I'd started reading it in October.
So this year, I have nearly finished re-reading the first half of the book, and in it, Chris Baty suggests that we take one week - and one week only - to do any planning, character sketches, research and so on. I admittedly could have used a little more understanding of my characters last year, so I think I'll go ahead and meet them here in October. Normally, I might have done that the last week of the month, but that's going to be real busy around here.
It just so happens that I started talking to my husband about my story idea last night and I got all excited about it. So it seems perfect for me to start playing with it now, and then setting it all aside for that last week in October when we'll be so busy. So that's what I'm up to.
Still working on a cool (and hopefully workable) skin for this site, and trying to drum up more interest locally for the NaNo experience. Busy, busy, busy!
But I'm having fun!
So this year, I have nearly finished re-reading the first half of the book, and in it, Chris Baty suggests that we take one week - and one week only - to do any planning, character sketches, research and so on. I admittedly could have used a little more understanding of my characters last year, so I think I'll go ahead and meet them here in October. Normally, I might have done that the last week of the month, but that's going to be real busy around here.
It just so happens that I started talking to my husband about my story idea last night and I got all excited about it. So it seems perfect for me to start playing with it now, and then setting it all aside for that last week in October when we'll be so busy. So that's what I'm up to.
Still working on a cool (and hopefully workable) skin for this site, and trying to drum up more interest locally for the NaNo experience. Busy, busy, busy!
But I'm having fun!


» Post a Comment